Friday, January 1, 2016

Big Love

My husband Bryan and I have been married going on 12 years. When you’re only 30, that’s a pretty big accomplishment. Heck, at any age 12 years of marriage is a big deal in this day and age. And the best part is that I still really like him. To be honest, we’re one of those couples that you see that kind of makes you want to throw up in your mouth a little. I think some people might feel like it is a show for when we are around others or for good Facebook statuses, but we are lovey enough at home that Asher (who’s 7.5) gets all grossed out. (Which FYI, is the funniest thing in the whole world.) Other people have asked me how we make it work. My answer is this…



Earlier this week, I was really under the weather. My husband had to stay on his ship overnight the night before trash day so in the morning before he left the house, he took the trash can down to the curb for me. This is a little thing. I’m capable, even sick, of doing it. But the fact that he took the time to think of me and knew that I felt yuck and the last thing I’d want to do is drag the trash can down the driveway was big love.

I think people (women especially) expect flowers and jewelry and other grand gestures to show love. Yeah, those things are nice, but they’re not what keeps a big love burning, because you can’t do those things every day. It’s taking the trash out, it’s unloading the dishwasher, it’s fixing them their favorite meal just because, it’s bringing home a candy bar because you know they’re having a hard day, it’s making sure to have that beer they like, it’s kissing goodbye even if they’re just going around the corner for milk, it’s being goofy and laughing together, it’s debating theories on your favorite show, and it’s telling them you’re glad they’re yours. Little things that show the one you love that you’re thinking of them and that your happiness is important to you all day every day.

My marriage isn’t perfect, because we are both imperfect people, but our love… our love is pretty magical.

-Sarah

What's the one thing YOU would tell people makes for a happy marriage?

5 comments:

  1. Sarah, I love EVERYTHING about this post. Dan and I just celebrated EIGHT years of marriage and we have friends who has said that we make it look easy, but it only LOOKS easy because little things make BIG love.

    Another thing that I think makes for a happy marriage is communication. Holy cow, communication is key and it's being so comfortable with the person you married that you can tell them anything. That makes such a huge difference.

    Love you lady and thank you for sharing this <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree that communication is key! And I'm so glad you enjoyed this. And 8 years is AWESOME! I love it when I see other people thriving in marriage because it isn't the norm anymore and it gives me hope!

      Delete
  2. 100% Agree with this. It's the small things even as small as turning the bed down at night. It's all about how you think about one another and never stop dating! For me (which of course I mean Rob and myself), what makes a happy marriage is daily prayer for one another and putting God first in our marriage. It is amazing what that does for a couple. It causes mutual respect, understanding, patience when you want to lose it with each other, laughter, and can get you through anything life throws at you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prayer is powerful in every aspect of our lives but especially in marriage! Bryan and I are about to start a new study together and I'm so excited to see how we can grow through it.

      Delete
    2. That's awesome! I'm always looking for new studies. You'll have to let me know how it is.

      Delete